This 1/2" Spindle Gouge is fitted with a relief edge which reduces catching. The engineers and product developers at Carter and Son Toolworks believe that this unique addition to their tool offering will dramatically enrich your turning. Gouge has an overall length of approximately 17". Reinforced with the strength enhancing properties of Cobalt, M42 HSS maintains an edge extremely well, while still retaining easy sharpening properties. To further increase strength the blades are certified heat-treated to 68HRC. The blades have two flats where two securing set screws rest so that the screws do not rub the cylindrical surface of the bit, and the fit between tool and handle is within .002 of an inch. Combined with the heft and durability of the solid 6061 T6 aircraft grade aluminum handle, and the deep seating of the blade, this precision reduces to a minimum the enemies of all cutting tools - vibration and chatter.
- Blade measures: 1/2" dia. x 8" overall Flute measures: 4-3/4" long
- Tang size: 1/2" Handle size: 12" x 3/4" with 1/2" adapter
What makes a 5-star 1/2” spindle gouge?:
- Less time at the grinder, cleaner cuts at the lathe. M42 means superior wear resistance and edge sharpness.
- Put comfort and control first with aluminum handles.
- Interchangeability, without compromising strength and tolerances.
- Hand polished, sharpened and inspected.
- 100% American materials and manufacturing. Backed by a lifetime guarantee and hassle-free returns.
M42 high speed steel makes the cut
It’s no wonder M42 is favored across industries. A distinct cobalt additive bumps M42’s red hardness off the charts, ensuring impressive wear resistance. And M42’s tight molecular structure produces a finer, sharper edge.
For woodturners M42’s properties mean less time at the grinder and cleaner cuts at the lathe. Carter and Son was founded because we realized many tools are machined from subpar steel, leaving us (and you!) make far too many trips to the grinder. M42 is the optimal steel for turning wood. It holds a long-lasting razor edge and is quickly sharpened on a conventional grinder.