Our 1/2" skew is machined from M42 high speed steel and heat-treated for strength and durability. Each 1/2" skew is ground by professionals at Carter and Son Toolworks and is shipped razor sharp and user friendly, ensuring that you achieve maximum success. Own your own 1" Skew today! User friendly cutting edge profile Radiused cutting edge reduces likelihood of a catch Perfect for pens, small projects and spindles.
Made from premium M42 HSS containing 10% cobalt.
Hones to a finer edge
- Superior edge holding ability
- Hardened to 68 HRC
- Blade measures: 1/2" wide, 9-1/2" overall Thickness: 1/4"
- Tang size: 1/2" Handle Size: 12" x 3/4" with 1/2" adapter
What makes a 5-star 1/2” skew?:
- Less time at the grinder, cleaner cuts at the lathe. M42 means superior wear resistance and edge sharpness.
- Put comfort and control first with aluminum handles.
- Interchangeability, without compromising strength and tolerances.
- Hand polished, sharpened and inspected.
- 100% American materials and manufacturing. Backed by a lifetime guarantee and hassle-free returns.
M42 high speed steel makes the cut
It’s no wonder M42 is favored across industries. A distinct cobalt additive bumps M42’s red hardness off the charts, ensuring impressive wear resistance. And M42’s tight molecular structure produces a finer, sharper edge.
For woodturners M42’s properties mean less time at the grinder and cleaner cuts at the lathe. Carter and Son was founded because we realized many tools are machined from subpar steel, leaving us (and you!) make far too many trips to the grinder. M42 is the optimal steel for turning wood. It holds a long-lasting razor edge and is quickly sharpened on a conventional grinder.